Enjoy a three night overland experience o Katse Dam ! One for the greatest engineering works in Africa. Departing from Underberg the tour spends one night in Mokhotlong, then Katse Dam Lodge and the last night we overnight at Sani Mountain Lodge.
- Day 1: Depart from Underberg (or collection en route, if applicable) in a four wheel drive vehicle at 08h00 and travel via the Sani Pass with a stop for early tea at Sani Top Chalet. We then travel on to Black Mountain Pass. A short walk will take us to vantage point to view Thabana Ntlenyana - the highest peak in Southern Africa at 3482m. We then travel on to Mokhotlong via the stunningly beautiful Sehonghong Valley where we will stop at “10 Riverside” for an ethnic Basotho experience. After a short drive we arrive in Mokhotlong ( once billed as the remotest outpost in the British Empire) where we have dinner and overnight.
- Day 2: After breakfast we depart from Mokhotlong across the roof of Africa and travel down the Moteng Pass to Liphofung a cultural and historical site of the San people and later, the Basotho. We continue on via Leriba (for good crafts) to Katse Lodge. We stop at Bokong Nature Reserve where beauty and serenity lie within the waterfalls. We have dinner and overnight at Katse Lodge.
- Day 3: After breakfast we visit the Interpretive Centre and go on a tour of the Katse Dam wall. After the tour we travel via Thaba Tseka, Linakaneng and St James Mission to Sani Top Chalet (the highest pub in Africa) where we have dinner and overnight.
- Day 4: We have a sunrise breakfast on the deck of Sani Top Chalet (weather permitting) overlooking Kwa Zulu Natal, before we descend the Sani Pass back into Underberg.
Good to know
- Please be aware this is a 3 nights, 4 days tour
- Minimum of 4 people
- Best to layer clothing as the weather changes with the altitude
- Please note that some passports do require visas to enter Lesotho. Visit the Lesotho Embassey Website for up to date information
- Guided transfer in a 4X4 vehicle
- 3 nights accommodation
- 4 lunches
- 3 dinners
- 3 breakfast
- Fuel, levies and tolls
- Entrance fees
- Gratuity (recommended)
- Warm clothing for night time (esp. for winter)
- Spending money (SA Rands are accepted)
- Layer on layer clothing (weather changes)
Looking for more of the best tours, activities and experiences?
We thought about to make the tour ourselfs but decided to do the tour with Sani Pass Tour ls and it was the right decision...
We had a very competent guide and driver who was very experienced and helpful.
It was a lovely trip and learned a lot about the area and the people living there.
The worst day of my life
We booked this tour as a celebration of my birthday during our visit to South Africa.
I asked the company in advance about the visa requirements at the Lesotho border as I am a holder of UAE passport and they assured me that I don’t need a visa.
After 3 hours journey in a bumpy 4x4 trip we arrived at the Lesotho border.
We were denied entry into the country because we apparently needed a visa.
The driver left me and my family (wife and two children aged 11 and 9) in the middle of the road at the border for 2 hours.
This company wants only to make money without a regards to the basic human needs for the tourists.
Shame on you treating us like this just for the money!
The vibe was amazing and the drivers are awesome and the service was great. I would highly recommend them
Though I was uncertain due to poor weather, this was a great way to spend even a cold, cloudy, wet day. Very atmospheric drive into the clouds. And the weather on top of the pass was actually sunny.
Our guide, Sifiso, was a lot of fun. And I have to give a special thanks to him and the SPT team for helping me retrieve some last property from my previous accommodation!!
Brilliant tour. Guide couldn't have been more accommodating, stopping to let us take photos and pointing out points of interest and wildlife. Excellent stop in a Lesotho village and time at the sani top chalet, highest pub in Africa!
Strict Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 7 days before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 7 days before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.