A guided day hike through beautiful Drakensberg scenery to view 3 excellent panels of Bushman rock art. Learn about the uniqueness of the hunter-gatherers who were the first inhabitants of the Drakensberg.
The Drakensberg Mountains, besides their natural beauty, are home to one of the largest art galleries in the world. There are hundreds of painted rock overhangs or shelters, with literally thousands of individual paintings in them. This amazing treasure trove of art was left behind by the Bushmen who inhabited the Drakensberg for at least 10 000 years. Sadly, they are no longer with us, but their paintings are, and they provide not only much beauty and fascination, but also a glimpse of the inner workings of their compassionate and caring society
All rock art sites which fall within the Maloti Drakensberg Park are closed to the casual visitor and can only be visited by groups accompanied by approved guides. Our guides are all accredited, passionate and knowledgeable and can not only guide you to one of a number of unspoilt panels, but also fill you in on all the background to the Bushmen - their history, lifestyle and culture as well as the latest thinking on the art. This will greatly enhance your understanding and enjoyment of the paintings.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT:
Our experienced guides are all knowledgeable and passionate.
PRICING is numbers dependent, with cheaper prices once the group size on the tour is 3 or more. It makes sense for individuals to join existing tours if possible. Contact us to see when tours have been booked and if you could join an existing group to bring the price down.
Sadly, the Drakensberg Bushmen who made these paintings are no more. Instead, we have partnered with the ‡Khomani Bushmen of the Kalahari to allow ancient rock art bring modern benefits. A portion of your tour price goes towards an educational program aimed at preserving the ‡Khomani language of N/u. We also support ‡Khomani crafters who make the souvenir items which you receive at the end of the hike.
“Sani Lodge is the Silver Award Winner of AFRICAN RESPONSIBLE TOURISM AWARD for POVERTY REDUCTION 2018. Sani Lodge and Drakensberg Adventures in the Drakensberg Mountains of South Africa has made a major contribution to local livelihoods and poverty reduction over many years. By involving Basotho stakeholders, they have created opportunities for communities to proudly showcase their unique cultural practices, engaging with guests in an authentic manner, thereby earning their respect. They are the future of tourism in Africa". ~ Judges
- Departure from Sani Lodge (8.15 am) We meet in near reception ten minutes prior to departure for a quick briefing and introduction to your guide.
- The Hike is a moderate difficulty hike of around 14km with an altitude gain of around 250m. We take it slow, with lots of information stops and enjoyment of the surrounds. As well as experts on rock art, our guides also have a great knowledge of the mountains.
- The Paintings: Unlike many other rock art sites, we visit 3 separate panels within a 1km radius, all of which are viewed as the artist left them, no cages, no fences!! The panels are quite different from each other and the main panel is quite extraordinary!!
- Return Journey: Our guides often use a different route to return, and you should be back at Sani Lodge around 3.30 – 4.30pm depending on the pace of the group.
NOTE: The hike is completely within South Africa and so passports are NOT required.
Good to know
- The hike is completely within South Africa and so passports are NOT required.
- Prices are presented on a sliding scale
- A knowledgeable and passionate guide
- Entry permit to the National Park area
- Packed lunch
- Contribution to the ‡Khomani education Fund
- A genuine ‡Khomani Bushman craft item as a souvenir
- Warm jacket (fleece or equivalent)
- Warm long pants (fleece or equivalent)
- Windproof and waterproof jacket/Rain suit – jacket and rainpants
- Water bottle (can be refilled along the way)
- Beanie (in winter)
- Sun hat
- Sun block
- Hiking stick(s) (optional)
- Refuse bag for your own rubbish
- Comfortable hiking footwear is essential
Looking for more of the best tours, activities and experiences?
No reviews yet
Strict Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 7 days before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 7 days before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.